Spencer was turning 4 this year and I wanted to do something special for him. He really loves dinosaurs so I knew making that part of the cake was important. I looked at several dinosaur cakes and they were all either “dragon looking” or way to advanced for me. His cake had to be cool because he loved the Bunny Cake so much. I had to make 2 of these cakes so I used a full sheet pan. Since most people won’t be making this size, I am including the directions for a 10×8 pan. If you need to make a full sheet cake, double the recipe. If you wish to use a boxed cake, you will need 2 boxes for the 10×8 and 3 boxes for the 11×14.
Ingredients: (Cake) (10 x 8 cake pan)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean
- Completely cool for at least 15 minutes
- Remove from Pan
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup Hershey’s Cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter
- Stir in cocoa
- Add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
- Makes about 2 cups frosting